Friday, June 18, 2010

lesson eighteen | a list a day keeps the procrastinating away

"One of the secrets of getting more done is to make a TO DO List every day, keep it visible, and use it as a guide to action as you go through the day.” – Jean de La Fontaine



My Type A personality, says that I'm a list person. And not only do I write a list just about every day, I do today's list the day before.

Yes I do.

Each morning in that sacred time before the family wakes up, I go through yesterday's checklist for today in conjunction with my diary, update it, and then during the day, I work on the next day's checklist.

Am I a little insane? Yes, most likely.

Perhaps a little obsessive compulsive? Definitely.

And so the picture above is yesterday's checklist for today. Taken first thing in the day before things are crossed off. (Is it just me, or does that feeling of accomplishment happen when each item is addressed?)

Of course, I never achieve everything on my list. And many things are transfered from one day to the next, sometimes for days. And there are things that don't even make the list. Things like 'prepare and eat meals' and 'play with the kids'. I guess they usually happen in some informal way everyday. And then there's things that should be on the list, that aren't. Like 'get dressed' because, if I don't write this down, on days like today, it may not happen until after dinner time. Perhaps I should add that to my list too?

So, I've started this post at the beginning of day, and will finish it this afternoon... let's see how we go.

* * * * * * * * *


So, I'm still in my pyjamas, but the phone calls were made, the spreadsheets balance, the house is clean, dinner is prepared and the boys and I are about to head to the bath. I gave work the cold shoulder today, but feel good about the time I spent with Madison (although it didn't seem to quell the attitude issues I've had to deal with today). I guess I can't have everything ticked on a list, despite my willingness to try.

Where would I be without a list? Well, firstly I wouldn't be completing my daily blog this moment, and perhaps would be surfing the internet instead, checking my emails and procrastinating. (I'm awfully good at the latter.) Secondly, I wouldn't have a routine (which I need so desperately), and finally, if I didn't have a list I don't think I'd be able to have a sense of satisfaction when I wondered what I did today.

2 comments:

  1. I have a list also. I dont very often get things done. Bills get lost in the bottom of the handbag and are not really paid until I get the final notice. But there are so many things that are on the "must do" list which is not really a list, which are get the kids dressed and keep them entertained from the time they wakek up to the time they go to sleep. I think if you wrote down everything you did all day long, then that list would be aslong as toilet paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work exactly the same way at work. Re-do lists, transferring old unfinished tasks to new.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx