Monday, September 13, 2010

k is for kindness

Kindness: Extend a little to those around you and let your children see you being kind. K is also for knowing when to stop talking about your own children's achievements and giving someone else a chance to talk.



There's no denying I'm a talker. Everyone who knows me knows that I'm not short of a few words. But as I get older I seemed to have slowed down just a tad to hear what other people have to say. And when you stop and listen, there sure is some knowledge and wisdom around.

Not to mention plenty of other people who like to talk.


As for kindness... oh how I want to instill this in my children more than anything. And the way for them to learn is to be the best example I can be.

Here at our place, we play the "Ta" game. We give something to the youngest team member (in this case his drink bottle), so he learns to say "Ta", and of course, we're trying to install giving, sharing and kindness in the older one too.

There's this little song I remember as a child that, if I recall, had a very 70s tune (which reminds me of big collared brown and orange paisley shirts, big fat patterned ties, and light blue flares.) I wasn't there at the time, of course...

Let me be a little kinder
Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those around me
Let me praise a little more
 

Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery
Think a little more of others
And a little less of me

Let me be a little braver
When temptation bids me waver
Let me strive a little harder
To be all that I should be

Let me be a little meeker
With the brother that is weaker
Let me think more of my neighbour
And a little less of me


I hope to hum this little beauty on a daily basis.

Imagine how wonderful this world would be if we did a little more kindness? What are your thoughts?

The A-Z of Parenting Tips were inspired by this article in the Courier Mail.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog :-)

    Oh what a better place the world would be if we all could be a little more kinder. You are a wonderful parent for teaching your babes this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx