Monday, September 27, 2010

v is for validation

Validation of feelings: Emotionally literate parents raise well-rounded children.



Madison is of the age where he is starting to verbalise his feelings. So, if he feels a certain way then we name it. We tell him it's okay to feel that way, and we talk about how it affects him. I try so hard not to suffocate it, and let him know it's normal to feel a diversity of emotions.

Part of his learning process is being aware of my own feelings. Kids learn, watch and take mental notes. So, I try really hard to explain why I might be happy, angry, sad, tired, excited, etc.

Luckily, Madison has about three dominant feelings - happy, cheerful and delighted. Every now and then he Cracks The Sads, but on the whole he is an absolutely sweet-natured boy.

So far.

There are times I forget to validate his feelings, and mostly I take note and rectify it as soon as possible. It's something I hope will come more naturally with time, as it's so important.

How do you validate your children's feelings? What works for you?

The A-Z of Parenting Tips were inspired by this article in the Courier Mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx