Tuesday, September 28, 2010

w is for walking, w is for wise

Walking: Go for one and leave the car at home. It's also for parents being wise, knowing when to say nothing and just doing what seems right.



Walking is something I love. When we're out in the sunshine, we marvel at the beautiful day, the clouds and the activity around us. It's wonderful. Housework and troubles seem far away.

Of course walks are a coordinated effort these days. We work around morning and afternoon sleeps and around meal times too. But let's not forget the joy of getting everything ready. Getting the pram out of the car, packing hats, sunscreen, water bottles, a jacket and possibly a scarf for the possible change in weather (we do live in Melbourne), and transferring all the necessary items out of my bag and into the pram.

I like to travel light.

But once that's all happened, we enjoy it immensely. The boys get all their 'wrigglies' out. Whether it's discovering a new playground, heading to the pool or library, or just picking flowers, it's something we all love.

As for wisdom, I hope and pray for it every day. I read as many parenting books as I can get my hands on, I ask family and friends for advice on certain topics and search the web for every parenting hint in the universe. How I long to be wise like Solomon and teach my kids in the best way possible. For now, the little lads have to put up with their mother who is still pretty much on her "L" plates.

Do you get out much and walk? And do you aspire for wisdom (like me)?

The A-Z of Parenting Tips were inspired by this article in the Courier Mail.

1 comment:

  1. The fact that you are parenting consciously is wise. None of us ever get it right all the time but that is important for kids to learn too. I am ok with apologising to my kids for getting it wrong sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx