Wednesday, March 09, 2011

GONE FISHING. AND WONDERING WHY.


Life for me has been pretty exciting. I'm an adventurer. I'll try anything once. And I'm a bit of an adrenalin junkie.

I've camped, hiked and bungee jumped, waterskiied, snowskiied, and I still want to go in a hot air balloon, jump from a plane and well, lots of other fun and exciting adventures.

But there are those other things in which I have never done, because I have zero interest. And one of them is fishing.

And I confess it's not something I consciously sought out. You see, I compare fishing with gambling. One invests money in it. It takes up quality time away from your family. It is done in the hope of getting something back. But it's not guaranteed. In fact, it's more likely one goes home empty-handed than with the winnings.

In fact, I did mention this very matter to my husband as I watched him fish while we were on holidays this week. I was busy taking photographs, feeding the kids and entertaining them (as you do when your husband is fishing). But after a while the boys entertained themselves and there was only so many photographs I could take from the boat. So with nothing else to do, I found myself picking up a spare fishing rod. I think I even asked for some advice at that very insane moment.

Holding the equivalent of a stick isn't really that exciting, especially the line just bobs in and out of the water. Your hands smell like bait and I've always been a bit worried about losing an eye when casting the rod.

Thanks to modern technology (the fish finder) we placed ourselves in the midst of many fish. Our lines had nibbles, even bites, and we definitely had the odd big pull. It sure was addictive.

I didn't do it for long, but I did learn how to hook bait, cast a line properly and pull the line in. But there were no fish that night for dinner. And during the whole experience, I was even patient. And that, my friends, is the real reason for my indifference to fishing. It takes a personality type, and I'm not sure if I have it.

But I did try it this week. And I might even do it again.


Do you like fishing? What have you tried this week? Was it something that you might not have bothered trying before, or something you've been dying to do for a long time? Whatever it is, join in with those of us who have done something new this week. Whatever it may be!

a day in the life of us 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Kimmie...love the river..I think I would rather paddle, swim or canoe in it though. Fishing would be more interesting if I had ever caught anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never fished, it has always baffled me as to how people get addicted to it!

    good on you for having a go though

    I am not sure i have tried anything new yet this week....mmmm, but the week is not yet over, right?!

    Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Kymmie! Been there, done that, not my thing:) I do love trying new things, although I'm not as daring as you, as I have no desire to jump off of anything. I try things like upholstering, dancing, and sending books to publishers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done some rather fabulous things miss Kymmie! But fishing - not my cup of tea. (But might enjoy the talking that goes along with it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up on the shores of NZ and loving all seafood/fish sitting there with a rod in hand is so NOT my thing. I much preferred going out on the boat with dad to set the nets :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loathe fishing - too many family holidays involved it whilst growing up.

    But I have skydived (on my own - not tandem) and done hot air ballooning....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm no adrenelin junkie (at least, not compared to YOU!!!!) but I was also surprised to find how much I enjoyed fishing when I recently tried it. I generally hate standing around doing nothing (I'm one of those people who carries a book 'just in case') but fishing was peaceful and absorbing. No idea why! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homme's parents live on a canal with a jetty and the kids love to fish from that. I love to sit and watch and photograph and read while they bounce around casting over and over. Fortunately they learnt very young to bait their own hook and to cast. They catch tens of blowies but have been known to catch one or two edible fish (from their Barbie rods with bent and rusty hooks). Makes me wonder how much skill is really involved?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad used to fish all the time when I was growing up, I always found it boring as a kid because you had to sit still and not make a sound so that you don't scare the fish away.

    I wonder if I would still find it boring now that I am a grown-up

    ReplyDelete
  10. Urg, I can't stand fish eyes, all googley and staring and whatnot
    *shudder*
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments ladies. Phew, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who isn't mad about fishing! Must be a boys' thing, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx