Sunday, April 10, 2011

fancy pants


My friend Rachael is the quite the professional op-shop buyer. Just about all of her clothes are purchased for $2 or $5. She has a knack for putting it all together, and always looks fabulous. In fact I think she ought to start a 'Rachael Wears...' blog showcasing all her outfits. Because seriously, she is that amazing.

At one of her op-shop sessions she found the book by Trinny & Susannah called Who do you want to be today? Rachael thought that I might like to borrow it for a while.

I'm so glad she did, because it explains why I'm so interested in looking different every day. Why I love to look conservative some days, wild child on others, and glam on special occasions.

The book shows how to work all sorts of looks including:
  1. Bombshell (think Marilyn Munroe, Brigitte Bardot and Scarlett Johanson)
  2. Gamine (think Twiggy, Audrey Tatou and Audrey Hepburn)
  3. Cutting Edge Cool (think Gwen Stafani and Agyness Deyn)
  4. Androgyne (think Annie Lennox, Katharine Hepburn and Cate Blanchett)
  5. Ice Queen (think Grace Kelly, Nicole Kidman and Bree from Desperate Housewives)
  6. Avante-Garde Eccentric (think Bjork)
  7. Diva (think the late Elizabeth Taylor - RIP, Rita Hayworth and Dita von Teese)
  8. Sophisticate (think Meryl Streep in A Devil Wears Prada)
  9. Rock Chick (think Debby Harry, Chrissie Hynde and Marianne Faithful)
  10. Minimalist (think Anjelica Houston, Tilda Swinton and Yoko Ono)
  11. High Maintenance (think Paris Hilton, Ivana Trump, Eva Longoria, Victoria Beckham)
  12. Boho (think Kate Moss, Sienna Miller and Mary-Kate Olsen)
And I think every one of us could work at least three of these looks. (Body-shaped dependant, that is.)

 
 

Which brings me to my outfit today. The dress? A $10 find in an op-shop I was passing by. And add the whole outfit together - as Rachael would do - and it comes to a grand total of $39!

So... how about this look? Does it represent ice queen, high maintenance, bombshell or sophisticate?


And a sneak peek at what goes on behind the scenes of this 'fashion shoot' (the mad dash to pose before the camera goes off...) Whoops!


How about you? Do you like to be someone different every day? Or do you have one look that you stick to?

Why not become one of my beautiful followers, linky up your Fancy Pants post below and add a link back to me in your post. You can also include the lovely buttonThen pop over to visit other bloggers who are dressing up this week. As for me, I can't wait to see what you've put together (and what excuse you had to dress up).
 
Kymmie wears: DRESS, Aero (found at an op-shop for $10). WEDGES, Roc (on sale). EARRINGS, Target (on sale $4). CUFF, gift from my sister. BEADS, United Against Malaria Fundraiser (did you know that up last year
Malaria killed more people in the world than anything else? $5 to donate). NAIL POLISH, Revlon Black Berry.


a day in the life of us




16 comments:

  1. Love the colours in your dress. You always wear lots of colour in your outfits.

    Not sure what my style is - I think it swings between qu conservative and classic with the occasional rock chic/ boho piece thrown in. By best friend once described it as "classic with an edge" Most of the time though it is just old farm clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress - wish my op shop stocked things that nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love creating different looks when I could. I love all your Fancy Pants photos, Kym. Gorgeous pictures all the time. But my new fave is the last shot. Not everyone can get away with a sideview shot ;-) Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blues are definitely your colour...although you do look pretty fab in anything you wear.
    Gorgeous as always
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, i love dressing in different ways each day, especially when as a stay at home mummy/ housewife who is at the gym or sewing in the studio, alone - when i go into the Shop i have fun with accessories & dress up, or keep it casual & maybe let an amazing pair of shoes or fun make up do the talking. My children notice, their friends always comment & ha, say their mummies are plain. Well my ensembles aren't always amazing, Thursday & Friday school runs are on my way to the gym, not glamorous at all, including hair & of course, zero make up or accessories. Sometimes it's smoke & mirrors to make you feel good. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh enough about me, you look fabulous, love the colours, suit you so well, maybe i can whip up a similiar ensemble for next Summer, it's getting very chilly here in Canberra already, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not me. I'm the same jeans and t-shirt girl every day. It's who I am.

    Very nice dress you're wearing, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You. Look. Gorgeous. That is all x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to mix it up... but only 'cos I just throw on whatever is in the cupboard. You know (or actually, you probably don't know!) how it is.

    That dress is stunning on you, Kym. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh yes kym! Personality disorder going on in my wardrobe!! I love a bit of boho, classic, feminine, and oh how i wish i could pull off a bombsell or diva class!
    LOVE the dress - I'm hopeless at clothes op-shopping, although i'm proably too busy looking everywhere else I get totally overwhelmed by snapping up a frock or two! You got yourself a stunning outfit! Love the behind the scenes shot - boy do i have heaps of those too!! I'm borrowing a girl friends book from a stylist to the stars and I've thought about adding a few of her tips in my posts - you may very well see it here next week!
    Now - how shall i dress tomorrow???

    Have an awesome week lovely girl xx
    ps - i had no idea about malaria being the highest cause of death! that's horrible ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honey, that 'mad dash' photo, is just your photographer (husband??) checking out your cute bot! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the idea of your op shop blog

    i have a friend who is brilliant at it too, i can never see the good stuff, i obviously do not have an eye for it

    You look lovely as always, i am a big fan of the Gammine and Bombshell look, although that does not reflect the way i dress in real life, But in a perfect world, it is these looks that i would live up to everyday

    Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's an amazing outfit! I'm so impressed by anyone who can pull together an ensemble like that. It looks sophistocated and feminine to me. I like all the accessories too, I think they're what make an outfit really come together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're a bombshell, my friend. You body is smoking.. and those pins! Woot woot.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the dress (and the fact that it is second hand is a complete bonus!). I haven't seen T&S's styles before (I do like their body shape stuff though)- I have no idea what mine style is (definitely different post kids to pre!). Love your outfit x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx