Thursday, April 11, 2013

THERAPY IN THE KITCHEN.


The photos prove it: there has been a plethora of cooking in our little beach cottage. During the Easter long weekend, my step-daughter Leah and I were in the kitchen talking about this very thing; why do we want to cook so much? We decided it was a mixture of a few things: therapy, the need to use food up to make more space (it's pretty cramped in here), or the holiday vibe. But one thing is certain: there is the desire to spend more time in the kitchen, and try new things.

Like on Saturday night, we stuffed potatoes; went through the fridge and put just about everything and anything in. (They were delicious.) There was this fish the neighbours had given us and I wanted to make a kid friendly meal. A short visit to google ("Kid Friendly Fish") and I had a meal the family were actually excited about. And unlike when I'm at home, I'm always trying to empty the fridge and pantry to make more room. Also, I stick with the familiar recipes, rather than experimenting.

It seems when I'm not cleaning, moving stones, dirt, timber or tools, it feels like I need to be preparing for the next meal. Because putting the kids in the bath and cleaning up the renovating mess usually coincides with dinner, and it usually means that I should have done one of the above things sooner. Besides, baking is something I can do with the kids, that also serves a purpose. So, preparations begin for dinner or tea, or a treat for lunchboxes; perhaps even dessert.

Whatever it is, there is usually something baking in our little lean-to kitchen, filling the cottage with warm comfort smells, and plenty of love.

| Pancakes with maple syrup, berries + yoghurt; caramelising bananas; sprinkles + marinated feta on our salad; apricot + choc chip cake (best recipe ever, Brooke!); miso fish (freshly caught by our neighbours) with cashew, raisin soy rice + vegetables; caramel filled chocolate easter egg muffins with peanut butter.  |


14 comments:

  1. I loved caramelising bananas, someone recently caramelised pineapple pieces, I'm not a huge pinapple fan but I can't stop raving about these. Do yourself a favour and try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I will try. Love both caramel AND pineapple. Thanks for sharing! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! that;s it I'm moving in...I'll pay my way with labour xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please come. Even just to cook with me. The new kitchen is installed on Monday. Now, THAT is exciting! xx

      Delete
  3. Imagine how much you'll be cooking when you have a new kitchen. Your food looks obscenely YUM. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I can't wait for the new kitchen. It's being installed on Monday!

      Delete
  4. If you can produce this delicious fare in a lean-to I can't what to see what the results of a new kitchen bring :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that's what I'm hoping Tammi! There seems to be less and less time to cook, things are hearing up in the renovating stakes!!

      Delete
  5. Wow wow wow - they all make me drool!

    Recipes, please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath, I will try and link up the recipes onthe blog - especially the apricot and choc chip cake. That's a winner!!

      Delete
  6. I've so many ideas for using up Easter candy with your baking- too bad we already ate all ours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Sarah! I did notice that Easter eggs are on sale, so perhaps buy some more (and save!!) and then bake some more? Sorry, I'm such a devil!! Xx

      Delete
  7. I think you've inspired me with the caramelised bananas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so delicious and a great way to use up old bananas. I highly recommend them on pancakes! Xx

      Delete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx