Monday, August 19, 2013

BIG CITY LIVING VS. SMALL TOWN COMMUNITY.


For most of my life, I've lived in capital cities. And as a young single woman - in my opinion - city living was the only way to go. After all, the festivals, cafes and live music were all at your fingertips; jobs of opportunity are a plenty, as is your choice of housing. How else could you meet a range of diverse people and be immersed in so many different cultures? If sport, music or that unusual hobby is your big love, adventures await. There are people to see, places to go.


Then I had children, and realised that I could have been in any suburb in any city, in any state of Australia. Because I never venture into the city anymore, stroll through the art gallery, visit the museum, or see live bands. My life has become a 12 km radius around my home; where my children's school and kinder are, where our friends reside, where play dates are booked, where my place of employment is located, and where my shopping is done. There's simply no more time to discover hidden lane ways throughout City Central, or to enjoy long lunches with friends.

So why not live in the country? A place where just one car and a good pair of legs is all you need. Everything is around the corner. We lack for nothing. There are no traffic jams, or busy main roads. The air is clean, life is slower. People stop and say "Hi"; they even wave. I can see the stars at night, and hear the ocean too.

If only my dear friends and family lived here. It would be the best of both my worlds.

Do you ponder about a simple life in the country, or an amazing life in the city? What do you wish for your family? Are you living your dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx